Director of Major Gifts & External Relations
The Director of Major Gifts & External Relations’ (“DMGER”) fundamental goal is to lead and develop strong and sustainable strategies and relationships that will encourage and drive IDRF’s revenue growth; increase its public image through major donations and gifts, legacy gifts, donor cultivation, foundation donations and gifts, corporate donations and gifts, government grants; and engagement through various community and media relations. The DMGER’s role will span nationally across Canada.
The Director of Major Gifts & External Relations is Responsible for:
Supervision and management of the department of major gifts and special events, its staff and third-party public relation consultants for donor engagement.
- The DMGER will work directly and collaboratively with the Director of Community Development, Director of Programs, and The Director of Finance to lead, inspire, and support the staff in the achievement of its strategic goals.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team in carrying out the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Provide leadership to the development of donor stewardship approaches and tactics to help achieve IDRF’s long-term, organizational and revenue growth objectives.
- Oversee and develop relationships with major donors, foundations, and corporate relationships nationally, to strengthen, sustain and grow long-term engagement and support.
- Develop a strategic program to cultivate major donors who have the potential for larger gifts and support, and to stimulate more giving.
- Implement and develop a legacy or planned giving program and to create a communication strategy to encourage donors to direct their funding in this program
- Expand corporate partnerships through targeted proposals and campaigns utilizing social networking opportunities and events to bring in new leads.
- Organize and execute major fundraising events for IDRF
- Provide oversight to the development of effective marketing and communication strategies that are related to major donor and stakeholder groups.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership in the development of a media and government relations strategy.
- To lead and oversee an integrated communications approach to promote understanding and awareness of IDRF’s mission and work within the corporate and media sphere.
- To develop and implement a strong and sustainable fundraising communication strategy to grow the revenue of IDRF
- To identify and build relationships with key community and government stakeholders.
- To develop a consistent and compelling communications narrative for all of IDRF’s activities and projects, internationally and locally and to engage and encourage all staff to use the narrative to actively raise IDRF’s brand profile and increase its reach across all current and potential stakeholders.
- To attend community, government, and stakeholder events, when necessary to promote IDRF’s profile and donor base
- To attend to any and all duties assigned by CEO for the promotion and growth of IDRF.
* The role requires travel for donor stewardship and external relations across the country.
The DMGER reports directly to the CEO of IDRF and the Board of IDRF when necessary and requested to do so by CEO .
- A minimum five years of experience in a similar management role, or in a role demonstrating increasing level of skills and responsibility, preferably in a humanitarian organization.
- Strong background and experience in client solicitation, follow up, and management through membership programs and/or fundraising experiences
- Demonstrated talent for managing a large portfolio of relationships in a timely manner.
- At least five years of experience with donor development including annual and capital campaign fundraising events.
- Demonstrated superior leadership, management, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse, creative personalities.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and multitask.
- Experience with planned giving and endowment campaigns, a plus
- Experience in hospitality or events.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills including MS Office, Asana, and Razors Edge software proficiency a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s Degree and/or related experience