Regional Program Advisor, Africa
Reporting to and working in close coordination with the Head of Programs, Africa, the RPA, Africa is responsible for supporting Country Program Offices (CPOs) in Benin, Cameroon, DRC, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Tanzania to maximize the impact of our programs. This position supports project design, proposal writing, partnership development, project management and cross-cultural communication to ensure the sustainability and growth of Cuso International’s programming initiatives in Africa. Working independently and coordinating the efforts of a cross-functional team, this role contributes to projects promoting gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights, women and youth economic empowerment, and poverty reduction.
- Advise and provide support to CPO in Benin, Cameroon, DRC, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Tanzania with the development and monitoring of impactful programs, including building CPO skills and capacities related to program development and monitoring
- Undertake independent online and internal/external consultations to identify program development opportunities and resources and support the CPOs Africa to engage these opportunities.
- Analyze the thematic and financial details of new program development opportunities for long-term sustainability of Cuso in Africa, suggest innovative approaches and partnerships to maximize impact and expansion of Cuso programming in Africa
- Strong understanding of programme development processes and ability to capacity build on these; linking impact/outcome, outputs and activities, creating logical frameworks and Theory of Change.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships and networks with Canadian and international donors, existing and potential partners and innovation opportunities to support program development and contribute to Cuso International’s profile in the sector
- In coordination with the Head of Programs, Africa, CPO and key departments at HQ in Ottawa, take the lead in planning, coordinating, writing and editing relevant program/project development documents, ensuring a participatory and well-organized process
- Undertake independent research in identifying program development opportunities and resources for long-term sustainability of Cuso in Africa, suggest innovative approaches and partnerships to maximize impact and expansion of Cuso programming in Africa
- Produce clear and accurate written documents as required, in support of the proposal development process
- Advise and provide technical and coordination support to CPOs in Africa to maximize impact and efficiency, including building CPO staff skills in program development, management, internal and external reporting and monitoring and evaluation
- Contribute to organizational knowledge sharing and learning
- University degree in international development or a related field
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in international development or a related field
- A proven track record in program design and technical proposal development for a variety of funders
- Experience working with Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Experience working with international development agencies
- Experience advising on, coordinating and facilitating project cycle processes
- Strong ability to draft and edit program development content for various audiences
- Good understanding of project funding and related numerical analysis
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French
- Highly organized with great attention to details and good team coordination skills
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Ability to work irregular hours (evenings and weekends)
- Willingness to travel when necessary within Africa and abroad
- Experience working on the African continent
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in gender equality and/or economic empowerment and/or refugee assistance and/or sexual and reproductive health and rights
How to apply!
If Cuso International sounds like the kind of organization that you would like to work for and you have the qualifications for this job, we certainly would like to hear from you! Expressions of interest should be sent in English. Your résumé and one-page cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any desirable qualifications.
Please click the « Apply to Job » button on this page to submit your application by 4:30 PM EST October 31, 2021.