Are you an entry-level professional, passionate about all aspects of social media, who enjoys engaging with multiple audiences? Join CanWaCH, a completely virtual Canadian-based non-profit!
POSITION: Communications Assistant
STATUS: 1.0 FTE
PLACE OF WORK: Virtual, Canada-based
REPORTING TO: Director, Stakeholder Engagement
WHO WE ARE:
The Canadian Partnership for Women and Children’s Health (CanWaCH) is a proud membership of more than 100 non-governmental organizations (NGOS), academic institutions, health professional associations and individuals partnering to improve health outcomes for women and children in more than 1,000 communities worldwide. CanWaCH unites the expertise and commitment of Canadian organizations and individuals to advance the health and rights of women, children and adolescents globally, envisioning a world where women, children and adolescents, in all their diversity, realize their right to thrive in full health.
CanWaCH is a completely virtual organization, with all staff operating from home offices across Canada. The ability to thrive in a fast paced and complex environment is essential. CanWaCH is a good fit for you if you are able to juggle multiple priorities, navigate changing realities and work effectively with a range of styles and approaches. CanWaCH strives to create an environment of radical candor, matched with a ‘can-do’ attitude and ambition. You would be an excellent fit if you enjoy thinking outside the box, see yourself as a ‘builder’ and inspire community and connections.
ARE YOU A GOOD FIT FOR THIS ROLE?
- The Communications Assistant is passionate about all aspects of social media across multiple platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn).
- You enjoy learning new ways to engage and converse in the social media space with multiple audiences. You are motivated and professionally and personally invested in shaping the digital voice and reputation of an organization on social media and across the Internet. This includes via social media platforms, email communications (e.g. newsletters and event invitations) and website articles.
- You are a resourceful, nimble, proactive communicator.
- You have a demonstrated ability to quickly digest an article, event, publication or moment.
- You are an integral member of the Communications and broader team due to your initiative and ability to multi-task and effectively manage the execution of duties.
- As a candidate with a passion for the social media you manage, you understand that the position may require occasional, light evening and weekend social media work to monitor for important, emerging developments or for inappropriate comments by users.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working closely with all staff and the Communications team in particular, you execute the day-to-day tactical social media and digital marketing activities of the organization.
- Identify and craft innovative opportunities and methods to insert an organization into important digital conversations.
- Disseminate content creatively across multiple digital channels, appropriately and effectively advancing the objectives and profile of CanWaCH and its member organizations.
- Collaborate to research, write, edit and distribute communications materials (newsletters, marketing materials, news releases, digital communications).
- Develop and distribute content for digital communications channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook)
- Maintain and update content on CanWaCH’s external website.
- Other duties as required
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Commitment to CanWaCH’s values, vision and mission
- Self-reflection and ability to navigate differences in opinion and difficult conversations
- Demonstrated sense of humour
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media tools. Specifically, hands-on knowledge of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, as well as social media scheduling tools (e.g. Sprout Social, HootSuite, etc.)
- Strong understanding of social media analytics and website analytics (Google Analytics).
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with the ability to write high quality, compelling digital marketing copy for various mediums and audiences and a keen eye for detail.
- Competent in the use of website management tools, including, such as WordPress.
- Experience with MailChimp, Canva and other online creative tools.
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, considered an asset.
- Experience with other communications software and online tools, such as event management platforms, etc. considered an asset
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and experience with using Google Drive.
- Demonstrated ability to organize priorities, multi-task, take initiative and work independently.
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team with minimal supervision
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in digital, social or media communications. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing social media post/messages and online posts including the appropriate use of hashtag, emojis, photos, videos and other creative graphics and assets for deployment across a variety of social media, websites and other online platforms.
- Fluently bilingual (French and English; spoken and written) highly desired.
- Experience in a member-based association or organization is an asset.
- Experience in the international development sector would be an asset.
- Experience working virtually.
This is an entry level full-time position or may be suitable for an early career (1-3+ years experience) social media professional to work on a part-time basis (e.g. 30 hours/week).
Other information to note:
- Please note that candidates will be tested for their proficiency in crafting social media messages and the use of the social media and digital tools listed above.
- All staff must be eligible to work in Canada and able to travel for work.
- We welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds and abilities. Should you require an accommodation or adjustment, please indicate this in your application.
CanWaCH is an equal opportunity employer. We believe deeply in equality and diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, and all other protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code. CanWaCH particularly welcomes submissions from qualified applicants from diverse communities, including but not limited to: youth, Indigenous communities, newcomer Canadians, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2I communities.
CanWaCH does not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. All offers of employment are conditional upon signing Human Resource Policies.
Click here to apply!