DIRECTOR, GRANTS ACQUISITION
We’re hiring for a Director, Grants Acquisition in our Markham, Ontario office! Be a part of a culture where we believe in the richness of uniting people with diverse beliefs and backgrounds, passionate about working collaboratively for the protection and empowerment of children.
Careers that empower young dreamers
When you make a decision to work with Children Believe you’re not just doing something great for your career, you’re helping empower children around the world to access education, pursue their dreams and be a voice for change. We know there are lots of career options for talented, top performers like you, but not many offer the opportunity to help children live and dream fearlessly. Children Believe is currently recruiting for the following position:
Director, Grants Acquisition
The Director, Grants Acquisition works with the Chief International Programs Officer (CIPO) in developing the business development and grants strategy for Children Believe’s offices in order to promote an entrepreneurial culture in grants acquisition. The role will implement and manage a comprehensive plan for grants acquisition which includes monthly and quarterly reporting, building strategic partnerships with peer organizations and consortiums. The role will actively engage with the ChildFund Alliance working groups in the new business development areas. The role closely works with the Business Development Managers in the Country Offices, by providing strategic and technical oversight to enhance in-country capacity, quality of proposals submitted, support in pursuing national/regional/global opportunities, as well, in diversifying our portfolio towards private, multilateral and bilateral funding. The role also works collaboratively with Country Directors and team members in supporting the expansion of Children Believe’s revenue and to secure funding for new initiatives.
This role includes, but not limited to:
- Support in the development, executing and achievement of the grants performance goals.
- Management of pipeline proposals for grant acquisition and liaising with CO’s to comply with quarterly reporting requirements.
- Develop and cultivate strong relationships with donors, and increase overall grants.
- Monitor all grants acquisition information; provide a statistical analysis to the Director, Program Development and External Engagement and senior leaders.
- Mine the database and grants funding networks for new major grants prospects, as well as, manage the research on new and existing prospects.
- Networks with peers/counterparts; analysis of donor trends to be proactive in grants acquisition.
- Coordinate on-line and off-line grants functionality and capacity that supports revenue generation in all Country Offices and support capacity building efforts in the field.
- Oversee and project management of grants team in all Country Offices to ensure a high level of value and alignment with strategic and operational goals.
- Monitor and evaluate grants resource acquisition plans and processes to ensure quality of proposals / reports.
- Report on the execution component of Key Performance Indicators and the progress towards annual goals; implement mitigation strategies for GRA where necessary.
- Stay current with grants acquisition strategy development and best practices of other global not-for-profit agencies and make recommendations based on best practices. Monitor competitor’s efforts for grant acquisition.
- Provide technical oversight to the New Business Development Managers/ Officers; ensure quality Management Information Systems on pipelines as well as progress of grants.
- Works collaboratively other key stakeholders such as the Country Directors; Program Effectiveness & Resource Management team/ Grants Compliance Managers.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- Post-secondary degree in a related field e.g. International Development, International Economics or International/Global Business Management;
- Educational focus on topical areas of Gender, Education, Child Protection and Participation as key strategic areas of CB are highly desired;
- Minimum 7 years of progressive development experience in a non-profit charitable or for profit organization focused on sustainability;
- Track record in successful grants acquisition; working through consortiums; developing multi-country and regional proposals;
- At least 2 years of field experience in a developed or fragile context is highly desired;
- Experience working in a matrix organization with multiple locations; experience in a federated organization is preferred;
- Experience with government, private sector and multi-lateral donors e.g. Global Affairs Canada, USAID, EU, World Bank and other international donors/ financial institutions; global foundations like the Gates, Ford Foundation etc..;
- Ability to travel for business – approximately 20% both in Canada and international;
- Excellent cross-cultural communicator and able to communicate with empathy and respect, as well as, receive constructive feedback;
- Proven ability to function effectively at the management level; strong program management, strategic thinking, organizational planning, and budgeting skills;
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization;
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs including the Microsoft Office Suite and grants management systems;
- Knowledge of website development as a marketing tool, including social media platforms.
- Ability to speak and/or write in either French or Spanish will be considered an asset;
- Commitment to Children Believe’s Vision, Mission and Values.
Attributes, Traits, Behaviours:
- Accountability for results;
- Confident leader able to express humility and cultural intelligence;
- Creative thinker and able to offer innovative insights;
- High integrity and dependability;
- Attention to detail and high capacity for analysis;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
Location: The office is located at 1200 Denison Street, Markham, ON. Staff are currently working from home with some flexibility on in-office activity until further notice (due to Covid-19 related health precautions).
Children Believe offers competitive paid time-off benefits and a comprehensive group benefits plan, including health/dental, life insurance, disability, EFAP and company-match RRSP.
If you believe you have that unique combination of a not-for-profit heart, combined with the skills and interest for the Director, Grants Acquisition position, then you will want to apply for this opportunity by going to Children Believe’s Careers website:
Select the button: “Find Career Opportunities”.
Search under Job Title for « Director, Grants Acquisition« . Follow the application process stated on the specific job posting, you will be required to complete a brief questionnaire and attach your résumé and covering letter.
Children Believe is not accepting recruitment agency/firm referrals.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a Canadian criminal record check.
Children Believe is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
Children Believe is committed to providing workplace accommodations. If you require an accommodation, inform us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.