Senior Policy Advisor
WHO WE ARE:
The Canadian Partnership for Women and Children’s Health (CanWaCH) is a proud membership of more than 100 non-governmental organizations (NGOS), academic institutions, health professional associations and individuals partnering to improve health outcomes for women and children in more than 1,000 communities worldwide. CanWaCH unites the expertise and commitment of Canadian organizations and individuals to advance the health and rights of women, children and adolescents globally, envisioning a world where women, children and adolescents, in all their diversity, realize their right to thrive in full health.
CanWaCH is a completely virtual organization, with all staff operating from home offices across Canada. The ability to thrive in a fast paced and complex environment is essential. CanWaCH is a good fit for you if you are able to juggle multiple priorities, navigate changing realities and work effectively with a range of styles and approaches. CanWaCH strives to create an environment of radical candor, matched with a ‘can-do’ attitude and ambition. You would be an excellent fit if you enjoy thinking outside the box, see yourself as a ‘builder’ and inspire community and connections.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Working within a collaborative and fast-paced environment, the Senior Policy Advisor is responsible for contributing to the development of strategic initiatives that further CanWaCH’s strategic direction, both through providing evidence-based policy recommendations, advice and issues management. The Senior Policy Advisor focuses their approach on tracking, researching, analysing and drafting recommendations on key global health and gender equality policy issues, and demonstrates efficient and effective translation of knowledge within the organization and within the sector. Through these endeavours, the Senior Policy Advisor contributes to building an integrated approach to CanWaCH’s stakeholder engagement.
Demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism and use of superior communications skills, the Senior Policy Advisor will serve as a key advisor directly to the Chief Executive Office along with other members of the Senior Management Team as well as the Stakeholder Engagement and Policy Working Group and other committees as applicable.
Specific responsibilities include:
Advancing CanWaCH’s Stakeholder Engagement Priorities
- Serves as CanWaCH lead on the coordination of the Stakeholder Engagement and Policy Working Group including effective development and implementation of Stakeholder Engagement and Policy Working Group work plans, coordinating meetings and agenda, tracking and managing action items, and managing and advancing working group deliverables
- Leads the development and implementation of a robust stakeholder engagement strategy using a variety of tactics and leveraging CanWaCH’s full breadth of work
- Identifies, monitors and tracks key engagement opportunities for the organization
- Represents CanWaCH as a contributing participant on sector collaborative initiatives and/or working groups as required
Advising on key global health and gender equality policy issues
- Leveraging CanWaCH’s Project Explorer and other relevant data sources, takes a leadership role in the collaborative development and implementation of strategic initiatives and evidence-based policy recommendations on behalf of CanWaCH to further key government priorities as they relate to global health and gender equality
- Identifies and supports alignment of CanWaCH’s priorities and projects with key thematic areas, policies, priorities and business plans
- Provides strategic advice on content for events, workshops, meetings, etc
- Provides coordinated planning of a wide variety of institutional government and partner meetings and events
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE and ABILITIES:
As the successful candidate, you will have:
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline such as, but not limited to, international development, public health, public administration or other relevant fields. Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- 5+ years of successful relevant work experience in a senior advisory capacity
- Demonstrated technical expertise in women, adolescent and children’s global health issues including the full spectrum of maternal, newborn, child heath and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Exceptional and effective written and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to advise on strategic policy function and to execute on planning, with demonstrated ability to handle and organize competing priorities and large workloads
- Experience in designing and implementing effective consultative processes and providing senior level policy advice and interpretation
- Ability to navigate pathways through complex issues with optimism and a can-do attitude
- Commitment to human rights, gender equality, and social justice
- Proven ability to lead external dialogues with a range of partners, including other levels of government, with a strong ability to develop and sustain relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
- A high degree of discretion, tact, diplomacy, negotiation, leadership and facilitation skills
- Fluency in both English and French
WHAT WE OFFER
- We welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds and abilities. Should you require an accommodation or adjustment, please indicate this in your application.
- CanWaCH is an equal opportunity employer. We believe deeply in equality and diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, and all other protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code. CanWaCH particularly welcomes submissions from qualified applicants from diverse communities, including but not limited to: youth, Indigenous communities, newcomer Canadians, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2I communities.
- CanWaCH does not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. All offers of employment are conditional upon signing Human Resource Policies.
- Opportunity to work remotely
- A knowledgeable, high-achieving, and fun team
- A competitive base salary
- Employee medical, dental, vision, benefits plan
- Contribution to retirement plan
- Wellness allowance
- Competitive vacation allowance and additional days during the winter holidays
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to [email protected].
All staff must be eligible to work in Canada and able to travel for work. This position will remain open until filled.