Technical Advisor, Global Health
At Effect:Hope, the love of Christ, motivates us in all we do. It compels us to intervene and stop the injustice of neglected tropical diseases. This same love moves us to act – we interrupt the cycle of disease, isolation, stigma, disability, poverty and even death. Everything we do is geared towards one goal – Stop neglected tropical diseases for good.
We do this by creating programs that positively impact the lives of people affected by NTDs. We invite the people we serve to have a voice in shaping these programs. Since 1892, we have been working together with our partners to treat diseases that isolate and stigmatize, advocate for patients, and restore lives. We fund ground-breaking research, provide ongoing care and training to empower people affected by NTDs and healthcare workers.
Together, we have created a climate of trust and inclusivity – where diversity in people, ideas and approaches is not only respected; it’s encouraged. Ultimately, we hope to ignite a generation of change by breaking down barriers and orchestrating opportunities for a world where people are free from the burden of neglected tropical diseases.
Charity Intelligence Canada named us a « Top Ten Impact Charity » and a « Top Ten International Impact Charity. »
If you care about making a difference, this is the job that will enable you to impact and bring about positive change in the lives of the people we serve. At Effect:Hope, we ask a lot of our employees, but we also offer a lot in return. In addition to your competitive salary, medical/dental/vision plan, and matching pension plan enrolment after three months working with us, we’ll shower you with perks, including:
- Dress: Casual when in office – We want you to be comfortable at work.
- Flexibility: Feel free to skip the commute and hit your deadlines from home 2 or 3 days a week. Please note that we are working mostly from home during the pandemic.
- Location: On the days you are in the office, get here quickly thanks to our highly accessible East-end site.
- Fellowship: Hang out and pray with your colleagues and be encouraged in your faith.
- Mentoring – You will be joining a Christian organization with experienced and thoughtful leaders who are committed to investing their time to grow and develop others.
Overview of the Role
The Technical Advisor – Global Health’s (TA–GH) overall objective is to improve the programs of Effect:Hope. Together we will establish Effect:Hope as Canada’s leading Christian global health organization to put an end to NTDs and the suffering of the world’s most marginalized people.
As a TA-GH, you will support the Director of International Programs on all related programmatic and advocacy work both internally and externally. The TA-GH will provide Global Health, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) and scientific expertise and capacity. According to Effect: Hope’s strategic objectives, you will apply your knowledge to influence policy and/or international approaches to control Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs), with evidence best practices.
This role will ensure that the project proposals are technically sound, supervise MEL activities to ensure effective grant management, advise on public health operational principles and generate and disseminate evidence-based learning.
You will provide technical support in the following three key areas:
- Technical support to programs – Ensure technical excellence by providing technical support and building the evidence base for effective models in health systems strengthening and global health programming within the context of NTDs.
- Policy and influencing – Contribute to the positioning of Effect:Hope as a leader in NTDs and global health through sharing sector-specific knowledge, leveraging professional networks and supporting the International Programs Director in their advocacy efforts.
- Resource Mobilization – through input into identifying potential institutional funders and developing proposals to institutions and other donors.
Programmatic Technical Support (25%)
- Provide technical support to the implementation of research projects to build evidence for effective models and approaches to case management services for severe stigmatizing skin diseases.
- Provide oversight and technical support to partners through the implementation, evaluation and technical support needed for collaboration with other international programs staff.
- Prepare technical and programmatic briefing notes and presentations for the International Programs team as needed.
- Provide technical input based on evidence and best practice in developing annual operating plans and programmatic planning.
- Contribute to developing essential tools and processes to support the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects focusing on health systems strengthening and global health.
- Lead and/or support research pieces relevant to Effect:Hope’s strategic interests and identify critical opportunities for publication.
- Continuously appraise and revise national and international epidemiological and public health trends to identify overall progress and strategic opportunities for Effect:Hope.
- Support and/ or supervise research-based study designs when designing proposals or implementing new projects.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (25%)
- Build and/or supervise MEL systems for Effect:Hope’s portfolio and partners, including rapid assessment, baseline, follow-up, and end-line evaluation tools, using digital software when appropriate.
- Take primary responsibility for ensuring that Effect:Hope’s impact and outcomes for our projects and programmes are monitored and analyzed.
- According to Effect:Hope’s needs, carry out/supervise data analysis, providing technical inputs to partners and internal Effect:Hope’s reports.
- Build MEL capacity by training, supervising, promoting and supporting MEL design, data collection and analysis in partner countries.
- Integrate knowledge and learning in Effect:Hope’s programs to amplify the impact for target beneficiaries and improve efficiency throughout the program life cycle.
- Develop and leverage knowledge by identifying relevant evidence and disseminating the learning points both internally and externally as needed.
- Support the development of publications and presentations based on the results from the implementation of Effect:Hope programs
Policy and influencing (20%)
- Prepare briefing notes and support before meetings and conferences as needed. Represent Effect:Hope at meetings and conferences with a diverse range of stakeholders, manage country relations and Effect:Hope interests with government, international and local organizations, networks and media.
- Support the strengthening of the Canadian Network for NTDs as a mechanism to increase Canadian engagement and investment in NTDs through technical advice on briefing notes and policy documents.
- Support relationship building with strategic partners at both the national and international level to enhance and strengthen Effect: Hope’s technical leadership and positioning in the sector as requested.
Resource Mobilization (20%)
- Provide technical expertise to support the development of proposals for funding from targeted donors
- Contribute to the IP team efforts to raise institutional funds in health system strengthening and inclusion in the context of NTDs.
- Provide critical relevant data and information to be included in reporting to the Board by the CEO and Director of International Programs.
Administration and Communications (10%)
- Master’s degree in Public Health or a related field.
- Minimum ten years of experience in relevant fields, including Neglected Tropical Diseases, Health Systems Strengthening, Global Health in developing countries.
- Experience in a senior role in an international non-profit organization is essential.
- Multi-year overseas experience in Asia and Africa, including project management experience. Ability to develop, lead, manage and evaluate sizeable international development projects and budgets in a developing country. Quickly and effectively assemble and manage interdisciplinary, multicultural teams. You must have demonstrated experience working constructively with high-level government counterparts.
- Experience working with and providing recommendations on and creating monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Significant experience in program design, theories of change, logical frameworks and other proposal development concepts, including participatory methods. Technical expertise in infectious diseases, particularly leprosy, lymphatic Filariasis and other NTDs.
- Technical expertise in monitoring and evaluating NTD/ global health programs and experience in mixed methods applied research and evaluation.
- Experience in the successful acquisition of significant institutional funding and demonstrated knowledge of Institutional funding rules, regulations, policies, and procedures related to project and program compliance and reporting.
- A commitment to the mission and values of Effect:Hope
- Proficient in speaking and writing a second language such as French
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
Effect:Hope is a Christian mission. Candidates must be comfortable with this position and be willing to work in this environment with a broad range of Christian perspectives.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all those who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply now to [email protected]