Chief of Staff to Co-CEO
Grand Challenges Canada is seeking a Chief of Staff to support the work of one of Grand Challenges Canada’s Co-CEOs (Jocelyn Mackie) to:
- Develop, prepare, and deliver strategic written and verbal communications on behalf of Co-CEO.
- Manage the flow of multi-functional communication to and from the Co-CEO, and between unit-leads and the ‘Chief of Staff, Programs’ to limit the organization working in silos to foster collaboration.
- On behalf of the Co-CEO, monitor and enable deliverables, strategy implementation and organization performance. This will involve coaching and supporting unit leads to achieve their deliverables, as well as cross-organizational objectives.
- Lead key stakeholder engagements and strategies, either on behalf of or together with Co-CEO.
- Be responsible for the achievement of special projects as they arise.
The ideal candidate is trustworthy and open to thoughtful debate and dialogue. The ideal candidate will have strong team management expertise, interpersonal skills, and a desire to foster a culture of accountability. The ideal candidate must be driven by curiosity, will seek opportunities to strengthen the organization through applying the principles of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility in all activities and demonstrate good judgement and accountability. See our policy here: https://www.grandchallenges.ca/innovator-resources/
The selected candidate will have strong strategic written and verbal communications skills. Experience with external stakeholder relations is an asset. Fluency in the French language (spoken and/or written) is an asset.
The responsibilities of the Chief of Staff to Co-CEO will include:
Prepare and deliver strategic written and verbal communications on behalf of Co-CEO
- · Provide a sounding board for the Co-CEO in a psychologically safe space.
- · Serve as repository for Co-CEO’s communications by listening to objectives and ‘rumbling’ with Co-CEO to identify the best course of action – https://brenebrown.com/articles/2019/05/01/lets-rumble/.
- · Turn Co-CEO’s verbally delivered objectives and strategies into written communications – whether in the form of memos, emails, letters, blogs, reports, articles, etc. – in a timely manner.
Managing the flow of multi-unit communication and decision-making between unit leads, and to and from the Co-CEO
- Serve as the primary point of contact internally and externally for the Co-CEO to enable their efficiency.
- Provide a channel for direct engagement with the broader Grand Challenges Canada team to help enforce a psychologically safe work culture.
- Enable and/or chair key meetings with senior leaders and managers for and with Co-CEO
- Collaborate and coordinate closely with the Chief of Staff, Programs.
- Work with the Co-CEO’s executive assistant (and other team members as required) to coordinate strategic engagement opportunities.
Enabling the timely completion of horizontal deliverables, business development objectives and special projects
- Understand strategic priorities and initiatives and actively work to support their implementation across the organization.
- Engage with existing and new partners and stakeholders, to support the Co-CEO’s priorities, either on behalf of or along side the Co-CEO.
- Project manage some important cross-functional initiatives and priorities, and help the organization avoid working and making decisions in functional unit silos.
Monitoring strategy implementation and organization performance
- Serve as a thought partner who supports and enables strategic decision making by other members of management, working directly with them to deliver on Grand Challenges Canada’s Strategic Plan and annual Plans and Priorities. This will require working closely with the other members of senior management, using curiosity that enables accountability – https://boxofcrayons.com/the-coaching-habit-book/ and fosters values of inclusion, equity, diversity and accountability.
- Monitor progress, and where necessary recommend and implement change to support the achievement of the Strategic Goals and Key Performance Metrics outlined in Grand Challenges Canada’s Strategic Plan.
- Monitor progress, and where necessary recommend and implement change, to support the achievement of targets and metrics identified in through the annual Plans and Priorities process. Support the Co-CEO in developing these annual plans & priorities.
- The role will not have any direct reports to begin. This is expected change overtime, as the organization grows and transitions occur. The successful candidate, therefore, needs to be experienced and skilled at managing senior leaders.
- Ensure that activities and initiatives across the organization are in alignment with GCC’s values and support a culture of inclusion, mutual respect, curiosity, accountability and healthy work/life balance.
External Stakeholder Relations
- Develop and oversee the implementation of strategies to support external stakeholder engagements, working closely with GCC’s Director of Funder & Partner Relations, Chief Strategy Officer and other leaders at the organization.
- Engage external stakeholders together with, or on behalf of, Co-CEO.
- Lead on follow-up actions with external stakeholders.
- A minimum of ten years relevant work experience.
- Strong management experience leading a team in an inclusive manner.
- Compelling, clear and strategic written and verbal communication skills. Enjoys and excels at turning strategy into written communication.
- Ability to work with ambiguity, self-direct and prioritize, multitask and manage changing/competing priorities.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels within an organization, and with external stakeholders, to effect change. This includes strong conflict resolution skills.
For more information and to apply, please visit this page.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women, people of color, people from LGBTQ2S+ and disabilities communities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Grand Challenges Canada, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, authentic, and accountable workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply as you may be the ideal candidate we are looking for.
Limited international travel is possible (aligned with travel advisories). Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. Preference will be given to applicants who are able to relocate to the Greater Toronto Area or neighboring areas and able to spend 1-2 days in the office per week when the Grand Challenges Canada offices open.