Communications and Supporter Engagement Officer
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program. Our comprehensive employee benefits package includes robust health, dental and wellness benefits, flexible working conditions and generous vacation and other leave provisions. We also offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change! If you are passionate about tackling poverty, inequality and injustice around the world, believe in advocating for women’s rights and ending patriarchy, and share our values of Empowerment, Solidarity, Inclusiveness, Accountability, and Courage – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Communications and Supporter Engagement Officer is responsible for planning and developing communication materials and content that seeks to engage and mobilize a variety of audiences around Oxfam’s mission and vision. This Communications and Supporter Engagement Officer will work to raise awareness around the injustice of poverty and inequality, encourage engagement, deepen Oxfam’s value proposition and inspire action by existing supporters and the public.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, they will work in collaboration with the Communications team and other cross-functional teams, to contribute to the organizations broader marketing-communications goals, while taking a supporter centric approach and leveraging innovative digital best practices.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
Strategy, Planning and Execution:
- Participates in planning sessions with cross-department stakeholders to develop marketing, communications, outreach and advocacy plans and products;
- Liaises with other teams, working groups and units within Oxfam Canada, ensuring communication, engagement and support is provided as required;
- Promotes and advocates for an integrated, multi-channel marketing communications approach across the organization
- Contributes to strategies that: increase Oxfam’s supporter base, increase brand visibility and deepen engagement of existing supporters;
- Leads special projects as required;
- Plays a principal role in championing the application of Oxfam’s brand across public engagement activities;
Communications Materials Development and Writing:
- Executes an annual organization-wide communications product plan that promotes Oxfam’s unique value proposition;
- Develops compelling content for key target audiences (Gov’t officials, advocates, donors, partners) and for various communications channels (web, social media, print, emails);
- Provides editing support by reviewing materials prepared by others, upon request.
- Creates central corporate communications assets to champion and demonstrate effective brand use and engage supporters and the public.
Graphic Design & Multi-media:
- Develops graphics, info graphs, brochures and other materials as needed, consistent with the Oxfam brand and leveraging the global toolkit
- Creates and/or edits videos and other multi-media products;
- Creates digital content for website, emails and social media;
- Stays abreast of current trends and best practices in marketing, digital marketing, e-commerce and e-philanthropy
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning:
- Monitors the external environment and contributes to the evaluation of outcomes of communications and outreach activities, providing recommendations and refining plans and strategies as required;
- Ensures tracking, evaluation and reporting on Oxfam Canada’s marketing and communications programs;
- Contributes to the development and monitoring of marketing and communications budgets;
- Where relevant, manages communications and marketing consultants and contracts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 3-5 years of communications (writing and editing), marketing, digital media and graphic design preferably in a not-for-profit environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and commitment to global justice, social change, women’s rights and gender equality.
- Proven track record in social media, blogging and campaigning
- Skilled in using all social media channels for engagement, taking into account audience segments and look-alike strategies;
- Ability to stay atop digital trends, quickly learn new web tools and adapt to new technologies
- Exceptional English verbal and written communication skills; French an asset.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team, in a self-directed manner, to prioritize and manage workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive track record in building and maintaining respectful and effective relationships with managers, staff and volunteers.
- Experience working with multiple third party contractors, agencies and service providers
- Knowledge of fundraising principles or fundraising experience an asset.
- Proficiency in multi-media products, software and design applications. Knowledge of SalesForce and Engaging Networks would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize work and manage multiple projects with high efficiency, accuracy and enthusiasm.
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- 35-hour workweek and the ability to work flexible hours
- A hybrid workplace where staff can work from home and the Ottawa office
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year, plus paid office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Extensive health, dental and wellness coverage for you and your dependents
- Paid sick days, and additional time off for personal and care responsibilities
- Pension plan contributions
- Caring, compassionate and supportive work environment that recognizes that work is one of the many responsibilities we have to prioritize in our lives
- Regular opportunities for all staff across Canada to meet – in person and virtually – to learn, connect and grow as a team!
To apply for this job, please visit this page.
If you don’t see yourself reflected in every job requirement listed in the posting above, we still encourage you to apply.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **