The Communications Manager role is an exciting opportunity to drive HelpAge Canada’s new strategic direction. An integral member of the HelpAge Canada team, the candidate will work across the organization to execute the newly developed communications strategy. The position will work closely with various Directors and Managers to effectively deliver all marketing and communications initiatives. The Communications Manager also supports communications related to the Board of Directors.
The role would suit someone who has a strong interest in writing, content development, and managing a variety of communications mediums and strategies for each medium (print, social media, press, web, etc.).
This role requires someone who is bold, autonomous, highly organized, who has exceptional writing skills, and is creative. The incumbent will also bring a willingness to take on new projects and initiatives without precedent to follow. The Communications Manager brings a fundamental understanding of marketing/ communications best practices and can weave a common narrative across multiple communications platforms and for a variety of audiences. The success of the Communication Manager will ensure that HelpAge Canada is effectively communicating our vision, our values, our impact, and giving spotlight to the programs and partners that HelpAge Canada convenes.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Communications strategy implementation: coordinate the development of annual marketing, communication, and social media plans
- Donor communication and engagement
- Impact and accountability
- Writing, content creation, and editing
- Develop marketing plans and visibility opportunities
- Executing communications related to fundraising campaigns and special projects
- Social media community management, analysis, and reporting
- Coordinate development of marketing materials, graphics, and visuals (in some cases manage in house, in others, oversee outsourcing)
- Website maintenance and upkeep
- Monitor and stay abreast of communication and social media trends
- Monitor effectiveness of marketing and social media campaigns and strategies
- Preparing content for media appearances
- Develop and execute media announcements and other national announcements (press releases, other publications, etc.)
- Develop compelling presentation tools
- Coordinate translation (in some cases manage in house, in others, oversee outsourcing)
- Support national network development as it relates to communications
- Liaise with HelpAge International as it relates to coordinated communications campaigns
- Prepare marketing and communications reports
- With the Director of Operations, manage the communications budget
Desired knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Graduate or undergraduate education in communications, marketing, or a related field.
- 5-7 years experience working in communications and/or marketing
- Experience working in the non-profit or charity sector
- Experience working at a membership-based organization is considered an asset
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills in English; additional language proficiency is desirable, in particular, French
- Creative, with strong storytelling and communication skills relevant for a charity focused on wellbeing, community development, and international aid
- Experience and knowledge of best practices for different communications mediums: experience managing a variety of different mediums at once
- Strong knowledge and experience with social media and online community engagement
- Able to support other organization team members to identify and effectively communicate key messaging, prepare for public speaking engagements, media appearances, etc.
- Strong prioritization and project management skills; ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft office
- Ability to use online design tools such as Canva
- A team player who exhibits and embraces HelpAge Canada values
About HelpAge Canada:
Vision: A world in which all older persons lead secure, healthy, active, and dignified lives.
Mission: HelpAge Canada funds community-based initiatives through its partnerships locally and abroad to improve the lives of older persons and their communities. We develop innovative projects and lead network-wide collaborations designed to create a world in which all persons age with dignity.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to [email protected] by April 8 at 5pm EST.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.