Director, Communications and Public Engagement
Applications for this position will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until a successful candidate is selected.
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, including robust health, dental and wellness benefits, flexible workplace, 4 weeks’ vacation, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Equality, Empowerment, Solidarity, Inclusiveness, Accountability and Courage – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Oxfam Canada is an organization with activist roots, global reach, a feminist identity and a deep belief in the power of alliances and solidarity. The Director of Communications and Public Engagement leverages Oxfam Canada’s profile, impact, influence and partnerships to engage and excite Canadians about our work. They ensure that the organization’s public engagement and communications is aligned with our identity as a feminist organization and our commitments to growing as an anti-racist, inclusive organization.
The Director of Communications and Public Engagement oversees the Communications Department, which is currently comprised of five team members. The Department:
- Leads Oxfam Canada’s organizational and brand-level communications initiatives;
- Oversees the organization’s website and its email, digital fundraising, digital advocacy platform and digital data analytics;
- Fosters value-aligned partnerships;
- Produces engaging and progressive digital and print content;
- Engages the organization’s supporters in our work;
- Leads the organization’s media engagement; manages the organization’s social media channels; and
- Supports Oxfam’s lead generation campaigns.
The department is responsible for ensuring organization-wide coordination and coherence of all of Oxfam Canada’s public-facing initiatives that engage the Canadian public. Alongside leadership of brand awareness and engagement initiatives, the department also provides marketing and communications support to fundraising, advocacy and campaigning initiatives. Ultimately, the department’s objective is to attract and engage Oxfam Canada supporters and the Canadian public in our work to tackle poverty, fight inequality and promote women’s rights.
The Director is a member of the organization’s Senior Management Team and reports to the Executive Director. They are responsible for managing brand risk and crisis communications. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director works with other senior leaders to maximize Oxfam Canada’s impact, influence and effectiveness. The Director provides strategic advice to the Executive Director and the Board, and contributes to the leadership of Oxfam Canada in the international Oxfam confederation, particularly on public engagement and communications. They engage in and support Oxfam Canada’s external representation with government, donors, supporters, partners and the media.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
The Director of Communications and Public Engagement will contribute to achieving organizational goals and objectives through the following:
- Defines Oxfam Canada’s integrated and multi-channel brand and corporate communications and marketing strategies and priorities in a manner aligned with the organization’s feminist identity and commitment to growing as an anti-racist, inclusive organization.
- Leads and coordinates Oxfam Canada’s public engagement strategy, priorities and goals to ensure cross-organizational coherence and to increase Oxfam’s supporter base, brand visibility and deepen engagement with existing supporters.
- Provides strategic marketing and communications support on fundraising, advocacy and campaigning initiatives.
- Oversees Oxfam Canada communications content and asset strategy.
- Oversees Oxfam Canada social media and digital strategy.
- Oversees Oxfam Canada media relations strategy.
- Builds and maintains strong alliances with government, donors, institutions, media and other stakeholders.
- Represents Oxfam Canada in external spaces, including as a public spokesperson and credible voice for the organization.
- Participates in Oxfam International Heads of Communications Group.
Communications assets, risk management and partnerships
- Oversees brand direction and brand adherence of all Oxfam Canada communications and public-facing products.
- Oversees and ensures high-quality production and dissemination of brand-level communications assets and products for various channels (web, social media, print, emails).
- Identifies and stewards key brand-level external partnerships, and partnerships with external firms and experts to bolster and deliver on strategies and priorities.
- Defines high-level stakeholder engagement strategies, including celebrity relations and public relations.
- Ensures our fundraising, advocacy, campaigns and corporate communications support our mission, reflecting our values and commitment to fighting poverty and inequality and supporting women’s rights.
- Provides strategic communications advice to the Executive Director and Senior Management Team on opportunities, trends and risks.
- Manages Oxfam’s brand risk and leads on crisis communications
- Leads the Communications Department, sets priorities and supports staff to define and achieve objectives.
- Manages budget, planning and human resources of Communications Department, and ensures proper monitoring and reporting on performance.
- Ensures effective collaboration between the Communications Department and other departments at Oxfam Canada.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & COMPETENCIES:
Education and experience
- At least ten (10) years of experience in communications, marketing and/or public policy. Non-profit experience an asset.
- Proven track record and significant experience as a strategic and supportive leader and manager.
- Excellent representational skills – including communication and advocacy skills – particularly in the areas of women’s rights, human rights, equity and/or social justice.
- Knowledge of and experience with best practices in marketing and communications, including in brand management, corporate and/or programmatic communications, digital communications, public engagement and crisis communications.
- Experience in social media and media strategy, outreach and engagement.
- Experience in strategic and operational planning, management and reporting.
- Experience working with third party contractors, agencies and/or service providers.
- A deep personal commitment to feminist principles, gender equality and women’s rights; social justice; and international solidarity.
- Exceptional English verbal and written communication skills; French an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize work and manage multiple projects with high efficiency, accuracy and enthusiasm.
- Experience in leading and working in a cross-organizational and cross-functional manner. Ability to work collaboratively and in a matrix management approach with colleagues inside Oxfam.
- Experience working in complex organizations. Previous experience leading teams in a unionized environment an asset.
- Willingness to sign and abide by Oxfam’s Code of Conduct.
- Ability to travel internationally.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- 35-hour workweek and the ability to work flexible hours
- A hybrid workplace where staff can work from home and the Ottawa office
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year, plus paid office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Extensive health, dental and wellness coverage for you and your dependents
- Paid sick days, and additional time off for personal and care responsibilities
- Pension plan contributions
- Caring, compassionate and supportive work environment that recognizes that work is one of the many responsibilities we have to prioritize in our lives
- Regular opportunities for all staff across Canada to meet – in person and virtually – to learn, connect and grow as a team!
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
Apply for this position through this link.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.