Fòs Feminista-Canada is looking for a strategic and entrepreneurial leader to serve as its first ever Executive Director (ED). The ED will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of the organization, leading the process of defining its strategic priorities and establishing processes, structures, and systems that enable dynamic and efficient operations to deliver on these priorities.
Fòs Feminista-Canada is a feminist not-for-profit organization centered around the sexual and reproductive health needs and rights of women, girls, and gender-diverse people in the Global South. It was established by Fòs Feminista with the dual purpose of 1) raising awareness with the Canadian public on human rights, sexual and reproductive health, and sexuality; and 2) fundraising in Canada to support Fòs Feminista’s global alliance of partners to provide sexual and reproductive health services to the most marginalized women, girls, and gender-diverse people and to advocate for sexual and reproductive rights in Canada and in key international spaces.
At an emergent and exciting moment in its evolution, Fòs Feminista-Canada is looking for a strategic and entrepreneurial leader to serve as its first ever Executive Director (ED). The ED will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of the organization, leading the process of defining its strategic priorities and establishing processes, structures, and systems that enable dynamic and efficient operations to deliver on these priorities. The ED will bring communications-savvy to elevating Fòs Feminista’s brand and impact within a Canadian context and have the stature and credibility to cultivate relationships and opportunities that lead to new resources, diverse investments and strategic partnerships aligned with our intersectional feminist ethos. The role involves bringing innovative and sustainable ideas to the table, spearheading new initiatives and a willingness to do whatever is needed to successfully execute these initiatives. The ED will thrive in a complex and high-pressure environment and apply rigor to ensuring strong financial and compliance management across the organization. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to a powerful and growing network advancing sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice (SRHRJ) globally.
The Executive Director reports to the Board Chair of Fòs Feminista-Canada.
Working closely with the Fòs Feminista-Canada Board and drawing on the support and advice of Fòs Feminista’s global leadership:
- Lead the articulation of Fòs Feminista-Canada’s distinct value proposition and strategic plan that positions the organization for stature in a progressive landscape and contributes to the global SRHRJ movement and broader Fòs Feminista ecosystem
- Map and lead the organization’s fundraising efforts, including defining and achieving revenue targets, leveraging the contacts and commitment of the Board to bring in new donors and supporters, and developing a compelling case to inspire investment
- Raise the profile of Fòs Feminista in Canada through the creation of cutting edge and relevant events, messaging, campaigns, website, social media presence and media outreach.
- Serve as the Fòs Feminista Board liaison including planning, coordinating and documenting regular meetings, providing regular updates on progress, opportunities and challenges, and informing decision-making.
- Serve as the link between Fòs Feminista-Canada and Fòs Feminista’s senior leadership and Board in building up the business and activities of the Canadian entity.
- Plan, guide, and monitor progress on all Fòs Feminista-Canada programs and projects in support of feminist movements seeking to advance sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice globally.
- Establish and manage Fòs Feminista-Canada’s operations, including coordinating, preparing, and monitoring the annual operations plan and budget; ensure compliance with labor and tax laws and with internal and Fòs Feminista policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements, including timely and accurate programmatic and financial reporting.
- Oversee Fòs Feminista-Canada’s finances to ensure high-quality financial planning, management, reporting and auditing to inform effective decision making especially as it pertains to strategic investments in Fòs Feminista-Canada’s future.
- Identify and bring in external experts and resource people to support internal analysis, strategizing and decision-making.
- Perform other management functions as required by Fòs Feminista-Canada Board Chair or Fòs Feminista’s CEO.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in nonprofit management, major gift fundraising for a NGO, preferably a global human rights organization.
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred.
- Passion for and understanding of sexual and reproductive health and rights issues.
- Strategic planning, change management and/ or project leadership experience.
- Demonstrated track record in institutional donor fundraising (experience and relationships with Global Affairs Canada a plus) and in securing major gifts (five-figure plus).
- Proven ability to establish and maintain excellent stakeholder relationships, with the credibility to engage, influence, and gain the confidence of others.
- Exceptional consultative skills that combine thought leadership, influential communication, and strategic problem solving to design and drive people-related change (design a plan/program/process and then systemically implement).
- Demonstrated experience in leading comprehensive organizational assessments that result in development and implementation of strategies that improve organizational performance.
- Demonstrated experience designing and facilitating large scale workshops and senior leadership meetings.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative and collaborative approach to developing new and innovative ideas that assert a small but might entity with great potential.
- A dynamic, strategic, high energy do-er with a strong ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional relationship building and interpersonal skills with the gravitas to represent the organization and communicate Fòs Feminista’s impact and priorities in compelling and inspiring ways to different audiences and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience working in collaboration with Boards, senior leadership, providing them with quality support and intelligence.
- Sound judgement and strong decision-making capability with demonstrated capacity to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required. Fluency in French, Portuguese, or Spanish is highly preferred.
- Strong commitment to equity, anti-racism and social justice including a focus on self- awareness and engagement of continuous learning around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong commitment to promoting diversity, equality and inclusion across strategies, structures, and staffing, ideally with experience working in or leading a diverse staff.
- Commitment to feminist values and beliefs in sharing power and creating space for everyone to lead.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and social media platforms; knowledge of Salesforce is highly desired.
Fòs Feminista-Canada is committed to ensuring that the health, rights and wellbeing of all children, young people, and vulnerable populations who work and engage with Fòs Feminista-Canada are respected and protected in their interactions with them and requires all its Team Members and Associated Persons to share this commitment.
The successful candidate must:
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding in Canada, the United States, and the international context.
- Sign and adhere to Fòs Feminista-Canada’s International Safeguarding Policy and Safeguarding Code of Conduct, including the minimum operating standards for protection from sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
Location: This position is fully and permanently remote, though must be based in Toronto, Canada due to the operational requirements of the role.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your aligned skills, experience and interest in this by July 21, 2023.
Fòs Feminista-Canada is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to advancing sexual and reproductive rights and health and dismantling inequities from a feminist intersectional lens. Reproductive justice, racial justice and diversity are driving forces for us.
Fòs Feminista-Canada provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, race, color, disability, national origin, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital and partnership status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state, and local law.
At Fòs Feminista-Canada, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices and experiences of our employees. We strongly encourage applications from all kinds of backgrounds to build a diverse workforce in which all social and minority groups are represented.
Applications will be considered as they are received and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Click here to apply!