Manager – Canadian Programs
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, including robust health, dental and wellness benefits, flexible workplace, 4 weeks’ vacation, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Equality, Empowerment, Solidarity, Inclusiveness, Accountability and Courage – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Manager, Canadian Programs will lead a team of program officers implementing a portfolio of women’s rights projects focused on advocacy initiatives in Canada. The Manager provides strategic leadership to key project processes, ensuring performance, quality and reporting standards are met; manages strategic relationships with partners and donors; and leads efforts to increase support for Oxfam Canada’s domestic advocacy and public engagement program.
The Manager works in close collaboration with colleagues in the Policy and Campaigns Department, regularly collaborates with colleagues in other Oxfam Canada departments (such as Communications, International Programs and Fund Development), and represents Oxfam Canada in a range of spaces, both internally and externally.
Women’s rights expertise, experience in delivering advocacy initiatives and program management experience of women’s rights programs, as well as strong communication, interpersonal and influencing skills will be key success factors for this position.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
- Oversee major project processes, including project inception, annual planning and reporting, and ensure alignment with program strategy and Oxfam strategic plans;
- Oversee and support staff to manage program budgets, including leading annual team departmental budgeting processes, monitoring disbursements of project funds and ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting on all projects;
- Ensure that Oxfam, donor and regulatory agency standards are adhered to consistently across the programs and projects, and support the development of related policies and procedures;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation, ensure that related Oxfam standards are consistently met, and provide quality assurance in all reporting to funders;
- Oversee contractual agreements with donors, partners and consultants, and ensure that program risks are assessed regularly and appropriate mitigation plans are in place.
- Ensure that lessons, good practices, and innovative approaches stemming from ongoing projects are captured for program quality improvement and integrated into future program development;
- Provide guidance to staff and supports implementation where required on a range of outreach and advocacy strategies, including but not limited to: roundtables, community outreach initiatives, online mobilization through social media and email, conferences and knowledge sharing forums, partner visits and youth trainings.
- Identify funding opportunities and develop program concepts and funding applications for new women’s rights programs in close collaboration with the Program Development Unit;
- Lead on the conceptualization of public engagement components related to larger programming proposals
- Establish and maintain relationships with strategic partners, including with funders, and with other stakeholders.
- Support staff to identify and deliver on opportunities to make the impact of existing programs visible to funders and the public.
Team Leadership and Representation:
- Lead, mentor and manage staff to effectively and efficiently manage their responsibilities;
- Oversee development of team and individual work plans and conducts performance evaluations for all team members;
- Foster a positive team environment, and provides team building and professional development initiatives.
- Provide leadership and advocate on key issues related to the program, and women’s rights and feminist programming generally, in a range of spaces, and in collaboration with sector partners;
- Liaise with other departments in Oxfam Canada to promote linkages between the program and public fundraising, policy and campaigns and communications initiatives;
- Contribute to Oxfam Canada-wide strategic initiatives and operational projects as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- A University degree in a related field (political science, international development, women’s studies) is required. Relevant post-graduate degree and formal training in gender considered an asset.
- A strong understanding of women’s rights is required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in program management
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in people management.
- Demonstrated experience with financial management and budget development is required.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team of direct report professionals is required, including experience in conducting work-planning and performance management through a collaborative working style focused on achievement of results, and championing Oxfam values of equality, empowerment, solidarity, inclusiveness, accountability, and courage.
- Demonstrated experience delivering or supervising the delivery of outreach and advocacy activities.
- Collaborative working style, capable of achieving results through influence and persuasion with multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent skills in team coordination and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong organizational and administrative processes and systems, utilizing technology to the greatest advantage.
- Strong understanding of and proven commitment to gender equality and women’s rights, and values of social justice, active citizenship, partnership and solidarity compatible with the mission, goals and strategies of Oxfam Canada.
- Excellent English language communications skills are required, both oral and written. Language skills in Spanish and French would be an asset.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- 35-hour workweek and the ability to work flexible hours
- A hybrid workplace where staff can work from home and the Ottawa office
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year, plus paid office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Extensive health, dental and wellness coverage for you and your dependents
- Paid sick days, and additional time off for personal and care responsibilities
- Pension plan contributions
- Caring, compassionate and supportive work environment that recognizes that work is one of the many responsibilities we have to prioritize in our lives
- Regular opportunities for all staff across Canada to meet – in person and virtually – to learn, connect and grow as a team!
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
If you don’t see yourself reflected in every job requirement listed in the posting above, we still encourage you to apply.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit https://www.oxfam.ca/who-we-are/our-people/careers/. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit this page.