Program and Operations Officer
The Program and Operations Officer will sit within CFTC’s growing International Programs and Partnerships team and will be responsible for providing support to all aspects of program operations for our growing global portfolio, including supporting some aspects of our people, culture, and human resources activities. We are looking for someone interested in joining our growing, innovative team and eager to develop their project management skills and knowledge to help us achieve our program goals.
Title: Program and Operations Officer
Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Remote (in Canada)
Annual Salary: $55,000 to $60,000
Canadian Feed the Children’s vision is a world in which children thrive, free of poverty. For nearly 35 years, CFTC has been working with local partners in Uganda, Ethiopia, Ghana, Bolivia, and with Indigenous Nations and communities in Canada, to deliver programs that have positive, meaningful, and sustained impact on the health, education and well-being of children and the self-sufficiency of their families and communities. If you share our passion for bettering children’s lives, and you thrive in a collaborative, values-based culture please consider applying for this role.
About this Opportunity
Canadian Feed The Children is a community and partner-led organization that works with Indigenous communities in Canada as well as Internationally in Bolivia, Canada, Ethiopia, Ghana and Uganda. The Program and Operations Officer will sit within CFTC’s growing International Programs and Partnerships team and will be responsible for providing support to all aspects of program operations for our growing global portfolio, including supporting some aspects of our people, culture, and human resources activities. We are looking for someone interested in joining our growing, innovative team and eager to develop their project management skills and knowledge to help us achieve our bold program goals.
Under the guidance of the Senior Manager, Programs and Partnerships, you will be CFTC’s “hub” on all aspects of program operations. This includes working closely with our Country Teams to guide and support them on all aspects of CFTC project cycle management, contractual, reporting, and administrative processes, while exercising front-line reviews to ensure timeliness, consistency, and quality in key deliverables. You will be comfortable managing a dynamic workload, including supporting the planning and coordination of key global program team events and meetings, and assuming primary responsibility for coordinating CFTC’s Program Information Management framework. This role will also support the People and Culture Manager with various human resource functions, including effective support to recruitment, interviews, and the onboarding process for CFTC.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Program Operations (60%)
- Under the guidance of the Sr Manager, Programs and Partnerships, ensure key program operational and administrative processes are running effectively and efficiently, and make clear recommendations for areas for improvement,
- Support the Sr Manager Programs and Partnerships with various aspects of the project cycle management process, including the development and review of budgets and project plans, procurement processes, partner workplans/GAANT charts, financial and narrative reports, and draft contracts/agreements,
- Support the program team on the oversight and central tracking of key program operational deliverables and deadlines, including the timely receipt of reports, tracking partner contracts and agreements, highlighting expiring contracts, and prepare of the contract documents for partners and coordinating the fund-transfer process and books and records reconciliation,
- Provide cross-team administrative support as required, including supporting child sponsorship administration and maintaining updated organizational policies and manuals,
- Supports the compilation, assessment, editing and strengthening of program / country office documents, plans, budgets, trip monitoring reports, quarterly and annual narrative and financial reports
- Maintain a strong understanding of CFTC program administrative and compliance policies and procedures and key donor policies, and support CFTC staff with adherence to these policies
- Support with new staff onboarding, ensure all program team members understand and have access to key policies and procedures, including the travel booking process, information management strategy, and have access to key tools (Zoom, etc) to manage meetings
- Support the VP Programs and Sr Manager Programs and Partnerships with the planning, administrative set-up, and delivery of program-related workshops, events, and large or complex meetings. As required, attend large internal meetings, and support the VP Programs or Senior Manager Programs and Partnerships with tracking key decisions and action points.
Program Information Management (10%)
- In collaboration with the VP Programs and Sr Manager Programs and Partnerships, developing Programs info management and collaboration strategy/framework, develop SharePoint sites and drive structure/architecture,
- Primary responsibility for overseeing the program teams’ day to day information management framework (use of SharePoint, ensuring clear protocols for consistent document filing, storage and sharing of documents and information) and lead training of team members,
- Provide administrative support with institutional funding initiatives including, maintaining documents for Global Affairs Canada, assist with the submission of proposals and supporting documents.
Human Resources (30%)
- Supporting the Manager, People and Culture, with a wide range of human resources responsibilities including administrative tasks related to the employee experience, including recruitment, orientation, volunteer initiatives, engagement strategies, time management and attendance tracking, policies, training, health and safety, legislative compliance, setting up the HR Information System (Bamboo HR), etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, humanitarian, food security, gender studies, administration. At CFTC we value work and lived experience, for this role we’re looking for some related work experience, ideally in an international non-profit and/or a combination of education and applied work experience
- Strong interest in international development, particularly gender equality, food systems/security, community-led programming, or monitoring and evaluation.
- Good project management skills with a willingness to develop- PM4NGO, PM4DEV, PMP highly valued.
- Great people skills, ability to build rapport, effectively listen, reflect, and respond while making a value-added contribution to our culture
- Proven experience forging strong relationships with program teams at Home Office and (ideally) globally; and, willing to be accommodating and flexible in support of global colleagues (yes, sometimes that means a 7AM Teams/Zoom meetings)
- Good experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Office 365- ideally familiar with SharePoint, Power BI, etc. and eager to learn new tools, as well as proactively seek out new ones that can improve our work
- Strong and proactive problem-solving skills, able to identify challenges or bottlenecks and proactively propose solutions to improve how the organization functions
- Interest in providing support for human resource administration
- Exceptional ability to understand how various operations and processes fit together, to effectively and efficiently plan and organize key tasks and deliverables. Importantly you’re also able to support and guide others to do the same
- You understand the importance of a strong attention to detail and high degree of accuracy, sound judgment and decision-making skills, and know when to ask questions and bring others into a discussion.
- Ability to work in cross cultural teams with respect for diversity, ability to work in a second language an asset, in particular Spanish.
Interested? Please apply via our company’s website by clicking on the below link by October 10th, 2022:
Applications will be reviewed on rolling basis, please apply as soon as possible.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those under consideration will be contacted. This position will remain open until the successful candidate has been selected.
Canadian Feed the Children (CFTC) is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier-free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of our community. We encourage and welcome applications from qualified applicants including members of racialized groups, Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier-free hiring process. For further information about Accessibility or Accommodation process at CFTC, please contact our People and Culture Department.