Request for Proposals: The role of women’s movements in democracy building
This assignment will contribute to the Equality Fund’s ongoing efforts to make the case that women’s and feminist organizations and movements (“feminist movements”) are key actors in advancing gender justice and social, political, and economic rights. We are seeking a consultant to prepare: a literature review of resources that explore the relationship between feminist movements and democracy building; and case studies that illustrate how strong, independent feminist movements contribute to thriving democracies.
We’re inspired by Erica Chenoweth and Zoe Marks’ piece in Foreign Affairs earlier this year, Revenge of the Patriarchs, and want to dig deeper.
We are seeking a consultant with:
- Significant research experience, ideally on feminist or social movements and/or democracy-building.
- Excellent writing skills, with proven ability to write clearly and accessibly for a general audience.
- Self-motivation and interest to help shape the assignment.
- Ideally, prior consulting work for feminist organizations (e.g. women’s funds, women’s rights
- organizations, and other feminist movement actors).
- Availability in December 2022-February 2023.
View the full request for proposals:
By November 28, 2022, please submit to Nicole Fischer, Communications and Policy Administrator, [email protected]:
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the assignment and relevant experience.
- Your CV.
- A proposal that includes:
- A description of your approach to the assignment (approximately 1,000 words), including:
- How you would structure the literature review.
- Your methodology to identify and prioritize relevant documents.
- Your working understanding of feminist movements and democracy building.
- A list of 5-10 top sources you would include in the literature review.
- Suggested case studies and why you are proposing them.
- Your understanding of the deliverables (if not covered in the above).
- Your proposed fee for this assignment.
- A timeline for the completion of all steps in the assignment, assuming that it starts on December 15th.